Are you looking for an exciting, challenging and rewarding career?
Then look no further than the Civil Service and Public Service!
Chances are you’ve heard of us because your parents told you that the Civil Service is a "safe job”... and now you’re wondering who on earth we are, right?
The words ‘Civil Service’ often conjures up an image of grey, stuffy offices and the word ‘pension’ – none of which sound particularly exciting. But that couldn’t be further from the truth!
Did you know that we actually offer so much more than just a “safe job”? In fact, we offer interesting, challenging, and rewarding jobs too!
Still interested? Great! Continue reading to find out more about the roles and opportunities available to you in the Civil Service.
What is the Civil Service?
Not a lot of people understand who we are, so don’t worry you’re not alone on that one! So, let’s settle this once and for all...
The Civil Service is a diverse public body, made up of people from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, all working together to achieve the common goal of serving the people of Ireland. We are public officials who advise and assist Government ministers in the running of their Departments and have three main functions:
- Advise the Government on policy
- Help prepare and draft new legislation
- Help the Government to run the country according to the legislation passed by the Oireachtas
But that’s not all we do, there’s a lot more that goes on behind the scenes as demonstrated by the variety of roles we have on offer. We’re certain you’ll find one that suits you.
Why should I work for you?
Not only do we have exciting jobs on offer, there are also great benefits to working in the Civil Service too! Check out some of these benefits below:
- Flexible Working Arrangements: We offer employees a great work life balance and the opportunity to plan their work day around their personal schedule. What does this mean? Our employees have flexi-time which lets them start their day between 8am - 10am in the morning and finish between 4pm - 7pm. Yes, you read that correctly - you don’t have to work 9 to 5!
- Dynamic Work Environment: We offer a dynamic work environment where you can engage in meaningful and interesting work right from the get go. Not only that, you’ll get the chance to carry out work which makes a real difference to the general public.
- Learning and Development: We also have great opportunities for learning and developing within the Civil Service. You can avail of a wide range of learning and development initiatives, which allow you to up skill and further develop your Civil Service career.
- Diversity: We look to recruit the best and brightest candidates regardless of their background. We do not discriminate based on gender, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, disability, race, or membership of the Traveller Community.
What jobs do you have?
We have a variety of roles on offer for school leavers, Leaving Certificate holders, college graduates and professionals with different levels of experience and interests. These range from roles such as Clerical Officer, Executive Officer, an Engineer or you could even work as a Vet!
You can find out more about the career sectors we recruit for here.