What is the role?
The Administrative Officer (AO) grade is an exciting and challenging role and the main graduate recruitment grade for the Civil Service! The role could include tasks such as:
- Policy and strategy formulation across the spectrum of economic, financial, international, environmental and social issues.
- Researching and drafting proposals relating to policy issues and legislation;
- Acting as junior managers in Government Departments;
- It provides successful candidates with the opportunity to progress to middle management
What are the requirements?
The academic requirements for this grade would typically be minimum level 8 (first of second class primary honours degree) on the National Framework of Qualifications.
We look for key skills such as communication and interpersonal, team-working and strong leadership potential. You may find it useful to look at the competency framework for this level.
Further details on the particular skills and requirements for this role can be found in the Information Booklet for each campaign at this level. An example of an Information Booklet for a recent campaign can be found here.
Starting salary is €31,221.
Learning and Development:
It has become ever clear over recent years that the success and efficiency of the Public Service begins with our people, and that the development of individual employee skills needs to be at the core of our strategy to ensure the continued advancement of the Public Service.
The public expect the best results and service provision from the Public Service. To achieve and maintain this, the Public Service needs to be focused on corporate and individual skills development and in particular, identifying training to meet the changing business needs and preferred professional development opportunities of employees, specific to the particular organisation.
As a result of this requirement, there have been a number of excellent initiatives put in place recently to facilitate the development of graduate entrants, including:
- the new Civil Service Graduate Development programme
- the Local Government Graduate Programme
- excellent CPD supports are now also in place for graduates entering professional streams such as economists in the Irish Economic AND Evaluation Service (IGEES) and Trainee Auditors.