This section of the website provides you with application tips and advice, information on how to make and update an application, and useful advice to take into account when applying for a job at the application stage.
When applying for a job on this site, you will usually be asked to fill out an online application form. Completing an application form is the first step in the recruitment process when applying for most jobs listed on the site. It is important to provide accurate information and to demonstrate why you would be suitable to the role you are applying for. The application form is designed to show us the skills and experiences that you have before moving onto the next stage of the recruitment process.
Normally, the application form will provide you with a list of questions to gather personal details, such as your email or phone number, to more detailed questions that allow you to demonstrate why you would be suitable in the role. These questions will usually ask you to provide an example from a previous role that will demonstrate the skills and experiences listed on the job description.
It is important to fill out the application form correctly and accurately. Below are some useful tips to help you in completing the application form before submitting it.
- Read and familiarise yourself with the job specification and information booklet.
- Read the job specification and carefully examine the skills/experiences needed for the role.
- Think about your own skills and experiences and their relevance or fit for the job you are interested in.
- Make sure that you are eligible to apply for the role; for example, do you have the qualifications or experiences needed?
- Read the question on the application form carefully and make sure that you answer all of the questions including any sub-questions.
- Keep your answers clear and to the point so that you are answering the question.
- Write out your answers in a document before you fill in the application form.
- Use examples that demonstrate your ability to carry out the role you are applying for.
- Carry out a spell check on the document.
- Save a copy of your application form.
Are you eligible to make an application?
We welcome all applicants from European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries to apply for jobs in the Civil and Public Service. To find out if you are eligible for the job you are interested in, you should read the information booklet provided for each competition carefully.
How to apply
In order to make an application on publicjobs.ie you must be registered and be logged into your profile. You can Login and Register on this login and registration link
How do I register on Publicjobs.ie?
- Click on the Log in button above or on the top right of the page.
- Enter all of your personal details. You must fill in fields with the * or # symbol beside them.
- Once all your personal information is completed, you will be asked to create a username which should be at least 5 characters long and contain letters and numbers.
- You should create a password between 8 and 20 characters long.
- Keep a note of your username and password as you will need these to access your personal page in future.
- Click save, a message should appear on the top of the page to say you have successfully registered. You will also receive an email to the email address you provided confirming you have successfully registered.
Searching for a job on Publicjobs.ie
You can search for a job by using the search box or job search in the main menu. You have the option of searching for careers by job category or keywords. You can also filter jobs by those hosted by Publicjobs.ie or by those hosted by an External Recruiter. An Orange tag over the job advert will signal that the advertisement is run by an external recruiter for the Civil and Public Service.
How to make an application
Depending on the role you are applying for, our application process will have one or two steps that you need to complete.
Click the Online Application Form. Your details from your profile registration are automatically populated into the form. Once the form is completed, click 'Continue'. You will receive a message to the email address you provided confirming receipt of your application within a few hours of submitting your application.
If there is a PDF Application Form, you will need to download and complete the form. You should answer all the questions. You can do this by typing into the answer fields or you can copy and paste text from any existing documents (Word, Excel, etc) into the fields in the form. In some areas of the form you can click a button to add extra fields so you can give more information.
When you have completed and saved the application form, you should return to the job advertisement and complete the Online Application Form. Once you have completed the Online Application Form, click Continue. You are now asked to attach the completed PDF Application Form. You will receive a message to the email address you provided confirming receipt of your application within a few hours of submitting your application.
Updating an Application
You can update your application if the closing date has not yet passed.
- Log on to your profile and click on My Applications.
- Click on the link for the Online Application form and make any changes to the form.
- Click Continue and once the changes have been made you can attach your updated PDF Form.
- To change the PDF Form you must click on the Online Application form.
Submitting a CV with your application form
This is only necessary if the recruitment team have requested it in the information booklet. After submitting your application, you can attach your CV in the Application Attachment section.
Withdrawing an application
You can withdraw an application before the closing date by logging into your profile and clicking on my applications and withdrawing the application.
Updating an Application
You can update your application once the closing date has not passed. If you need to update your detailed application form:
- Log on to your profile on this link to publicjobs.ie and Click on my applications. You will see your application in the My Applications -closing date not yet passed section.
- Click on the link for the Standard Online Application form and make any changes.
- Click Continue once the changes have been made. You will then be prompted to attach your Application form.
- Click submit.
Please note: If it is just the PDF application form that needs to be updated, you still have to click the link for the Standard Online Application Form and follow the same steps.
For more information on the Application process, please click on this link to the FAQ page